DAY THIRTY-SEVEN: PSAT, Pizza, and Prizes

PSAT day! Elias and I woke up early, so we could be ready to walk to St. Maur International School, and get to the testing room by 8am.


All of the students’ names were on a board, with a corresponding number to their seat assignment. Elias and I were labeled ‘A’ and ‘B’. The international school teaches all of their classes in English, so the test instructions were given in English as well. The test went by quickly, and Mom, Dad, and Bayus were waiting for us when we were done. Though I know I didn’t get all of the answers correct, I feel positive with how the test went, and Elias said that felt the same way.

For lunch, we went to a place said to have the best American pizza in Yokohama.


When we were waiting for the pizza to come out of the oven, the owner (who spoke English) asked,

“Can you not eat Japanese food?”

“Come on man!” I thought, “We have been here for almost two months, eating lots of very authentic Japanese foods. Give us a break and just let me eat my pizza!”

The man was actually quite nice, and he did make very good pizza.



He even had a sauce buffet!


His restaurant was very small, and only had four seats! The other employee brought out an extra seat for us, but no other customers were going to be able to sit down as long as we were there!


We walked from the pizza shack, over to China Town. We didn’t plan on staying there long, but Mom wanted to pick up some things that she had seen there last time we came. While there, we stopped by a store that had some claw machines. Bayus has a knack at doing very well at the claw machines, so Mom and Dad let him try to win something. Instead of stuffed animals, you had to try and grab these plastic containers. Most of them had small prizes, but some of them had keys, which unlocked big prizes displayed around the game. One of the big prizes was tickets to Disneyland Tokyo!


From China Town, we went in search of a sashiko store!


Dawn Besherse, this store is the sister store of a store that was said to “lay in a forest outside of Tokyo… ” and to be, “very hard to get to…”, so we decided to go to the one in the second largest city in Japan, in the middle of a mall. The stores are owned by a woman, who is sashiko master. Everything, right down to the money tray, was wrapped in sashiko fabric.


It was a long day, spent well. Our apartment is beginning to feel like home, and we were relieved when we returned to Isehara.